Blog post 1: The contemporary learner and teacher
I certainly believe that neurologically, new stimuli enacts an emotional response to the brain. If new information is not interesting, the brain will filter it out quickly. In the context of learning experiences, I believe materials and activities must be engaging for the learner to willingly participate, apply information and remember what they have learnt.
I am both feeling positive and daunted with engaging with this unit. I am aware that 21st century learners are exposed to and live through digital consumption, more so than previous generations. First and foremost, they are technology users. This may be concerning as I am only knowledgeable of basic technologies to incorporate into lessons (PowerPoints, YouTube clips, online quizzes and learning modules (EdPerfect)).
I am looking forward to engrossing myself in new ways to deliver content to English and Media Arts classrooms. During this unit, I want to reflect on my current knowledge of creative pedagogy and explore how my views can change. As a teacher, it is important that I consider the great diversity in modern classrooms (inclusivity and differentiation), consider that social media can be a form of research for students (can also be used as an engagement tool), consider the relationship between fast-paced learning (scaffolding) and images/videos, and consider the generations’ interest in working collaboratively.
I think that ICT is a great resource for engagement in the classroom. Learners today are very digitally apt as they are digitally exposed to various media. In a way, they are learning through different digital channels compared to the classroom which can be beneficial to a teacher/challenging.
The challenge I currently face is the necessity of incorporating ICTs into every lesson. Does every lesson need to incorporate ICTs or could they be incorporated to a lesser extent? What extent is appropriate? What happens when technology fails?
I have had both positive and negative experiences
with ICT in the classroom so far. Students are easily engaged with ICT as they
can shift away from physical media (book & pen) and focus on digital media
that they know how to deconstruct rapidly. In a way, I have found it challenging
to incorporate ICTs into classrooms where student do not have access to
computers/laptops. Teaching and learning has been very different in this sense.
I think laptops can have a positive impact, yet are extremely distractive for
learners. I think it is crucial to have back-up activities planned in a media
arts classroom as technology can fail us – as experienced on my previous prac.
Comments
Post a Comment